Thursday, March 5, 2015

Go big (actually go small) or go home

I am so weird. I read something new and then I want to do it. Actually a couple of articles and books have mentioned this, but last night I read it in Rick Steves' advice to travelers. 

"Take only enough to get started. If you find yourself in Bulgaria trying to buy something that looks like toothpaste, it only enhances the travel experience."

So I had been toying around with this idea for several days -- could I get by with only my very cool backpack? (More on the backpack later).

I was planning to use a new and very cool carry-on that was a thoughtful Christmas gift -- and my backpack.

It is so tempting from the standpoint of making this more than a trip -- but a journey. As I say to my friends and family, the way in is the way out.

It is the heart of Zen. The less you have, the less you have to worry about -- the less you have to lose.

So being the weird guy that I am, I will lay out what I think I need for a month in South America and see if it fits.

Made in Montana by Red Oxx
"PLACES FOR YOUR BELONGINGS.
You want pockets? The Roadster has handy exterior zippered raised pockets (6"W x 7"H x 2"D on the front and 12"H x 6"W x 2"D on each side) to give you plenty of room and keep your belongings organized.
In the spacious main top-loading compartment you could pack your plentiful picnic, the raised side pockets holding your wine, spirits or soda bottles and glasses and the front pocket your cheese, appetizers or dessert and the top flap pocket your silverware. Attach your blanket with the buckled loop compression straps on the bottom."

One cool thing about this pack is that it is guarenteed FOREVER. Not lifetime. Forever. So it is also a family heirloom.

Pictures to follow as I see how much I can get into this.


No comments:

Post a Comment