Saturday, March 28, 2015

Testing, testing: Put me in coach, I'm ready to play.


OK -- so a domestic flight to someplace I've been once isn't that much of a test for my chops as a traveler. But it's at least some WD40 to my rusted airline skills. The trip to Atlanta for a Main Street conference will also let me try out some of my cool new travel items.

Chatted last night with an old friend. Like everyone, he also has felt the pain of ups and downs. I told him about this trip to South America and he said, "you're braver than I am." I guess that meant for heading out of the country alone somewhere that has a sketchy reputation.

I turn the sock inside out. Not so much brave but anti-coward. It scares me. Hell. it scares -- well at least annoys me -- when I am out of yogurt for my smoothie in the morning. 

But my life has changed. My first reaction is to be turtle enough to pull inside and retreat from any other chance of more painful realities.

But fuck fear. It's the fourth quarter of my playoff games and when the game is over, I want to know that I wasn't afraid to play with a concussion of the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment