Tuesday, May 26, 2015

24 days


It's usually like this.

In the past, major trips seem so far away. Then they are here. 

People are asking me, "are you excited?"

News flash -- I'm a funny guy. 

Not funny in making you laugh -- but as one friend puts it - quirky.

There may be some original injuries at work here of not wanting to get too excited. Part of my dear mother's effort to prepare me for a changing world. 

But maybe that is the point of the trip. Of reclaiming my life. I've only traveled a few times by myself in the past 25 years. Clearly, this will be the most ambitious. And that's why I am doing it. 

I am reminded of the time our main sewer line to the street went out in our first house in Salem. Homeowner for the first time, I quickly concluded -- while it was a new dilemma for me -- there was no alternative to the option of fixing it -- and soon.

I found someone who could come out the next day. He said he could work on it immediately. The estimate was $3,000. 

I tried to find others who would come out and look at the job. But no one else could be there for a week.

Based upon the best intelligence I had at the time, I said yes.

The next day the job was done. 

The bill came. It was $1,500.

I felt elated as I wrote a check for that amount.

I don't know what to call that part of human nature -- maybe it's comparison.

But I want to travel. By myself. And be comfortable doing it. So I'm planning a trip with exaggerated elements -- flying alone to a country I've never seen.

I am counting on the fact that after this trip -- other solo trips will cost half the emotional effort of this and feel the same sense of elation at planning a trip in August to -- say, New York City.

Or as Hoffman said in Way the Dog, "You think this is bad. This is nothing. You should have seen....."



No comments:

Post a Comment