Thursday, February 5, 2015

Letting go -- of things, including the things you love.



If there is a favorite place in the world for me -- this is it. Near the cabin of which I own an even smaller part, but still holds so much deep sense of place. Here, where the Salmon River meets the Pacific Ocean, I kayaked with my kids. Overturned and were temporarily marooned on the spit. Explored. Ate. Hugged. Talked. And shared in silence.


I've been fortunate to have come to this place for the past 25 years. I've even told the kids, this is where they should place my ashes.

For the past six years, I've been involved in the preservation and management of Cascade Head Ranch, first as a board member, then as president for two -- often difficult -- years.

I loved it.

But today I notified the Board that I will not seek reelection to the board.

I've given it great thought. Much of who I am is identified with this place. And maybe that is why I need to step back from it -- at least for a while.

As I sort through my "stuff" it is easy to discard things I don't care for, but harder for things I love.

But some distance is needed now for me to get a better sense of my priorities. I know my kids are number one -- but after that.... well, I am not sure anymore.

So part of the trip to Ecuador is just getting some distance. To see the forest rather than the trees.

To reassemble my life based not on habit, but thoughtful choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment