Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Planning on a shower in Mexico City 

before heading to Ecuador


Ok, so this does seem a bit indulgent. (Am I really worth it?) But -- the Aeromexico lounge does come free with the first class tickets, so I can worry less about whether it's an over-indulgence.

I have a three hour layover in Mexico City. The following blog tells me what I have in store.
---

Aeromexico hosts two Premier Salons at Mexico D.F. International airport in Terminal 2; one is for international flights and the other is for domestic flights. The two lounges are nearly identical and nothing really stands out between the two. Furthermore, neither one is marked international or domestic so any normal traveler would never know the difference, unless you were denied entry, of course. On my 4 hour layover, I visited both lounges and I will review them as one because honestly they were extremely similar!
Upon entering the lounge, the bilingual staff members were extremely helpful. After checking my boarding pass/credentials they checked my flight status and informed me of the exact time my flight would board and which gate; both information that were missing from my boarding pass by the way. They then were nice enough to check my seat and make sure it was a “comfortable seat”. I had originally selected an exit row, but at this time the staff offered me a seat in my own row. Of course I did not pass it up, but you can read about my initial conundrum here.
2012-09-27-05.24.282012-09-27-05.24.18The lounge at MEX consists of a large open room with a manned bar in the middle serving up coffee and cocktails of your choice. If you want a homemade margarita or a michelada, it’s yours. If you are avoiding alcohol, try a cappuccino or mocha made by a barista, not by an automated machine like VIP clubs in the USA. The bar consists of many bar stools, so you can sit at the bar and socialize with your amigos. If the bar is not your scene, no worries there are a number of couches and chairs situated throughout the club, all offering top quality comfort while you await your flight. The clubs also offer a small business area and an oversized executive desk with a plethora of plugs, connecting travelers to the highly sought after power! There are also a couple of side rooms both fairly empty when I was visiting, offering more areas to lounge or work from.

2012-09-27-05.48.30The VIP Salon has a number of staff working to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. Unlike anything I’ve seen at other lounges in the skyteam network, lounge attendants follow patrons around like sharks, offering them drinks from the bar, freshly made coffee or food from the self-served area. Don’t worry though, although the lounge attendants watch patrons like hawks, they are not over cumbersome and give your plenty of space, if anything, they are just helpful and want to ensure you do not have to get up, unless you want to.
2012-09-27-05.23.57The self-serve areas in both lounges were offering a variety of breakfast pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, and high-sugar granola. There was also a full selection of alcohol offering a number of tequilas, beers, and other spirits. It was early in the morning and I was not in the mood to drink, (as my editor says, “what Rocky wasn’t in the mood to drink in an airport?!) however it was nice to see that the offering was there, even at 5am! Alongside of the self-serve area was also a large beverage cooler offering a number of drinks ranging from juices, sodas, beers, and other beverages I’ve never heard of or seen before. There was surely something for everyone no matter what their age.
After having myself a couple lattes and filling up on breakfast, I decided it was time to shower. Even though the flight from LAX to MEX was only 3.5 hours, I felt gross and sweaty from sleeping on the plane and was in much need of a rinse. This was when I actually realized that I was not in the international lounge but the domestic for showers were only available at the International lounge. The lounges are only a few hundred meters apart, so I packed up my belongings and headed over to the other lounge.
This lounge, like I had said before, was almost exactly the same as the other lounge. I asked 
2012-09-27-05.24.44
for the showers and they directed me back to the spa. Both lounges offer a spa with overpriced services, but only the one had shower service (free of charge). The shower was great, and very comfortable, however small. Despite this, I was happy to be able to refresh myself in the dinky room, but either way I was happy.
After my shower I went back to the main area of the lounge, enjoyed myself another coffee and then headed towards the gate. The VIP lounges at MEX are more than comfortable and a good place to relax. Be sure to stop by the lounge (either one) on your next trip through MEX!

No comments:

Post a Comment