Saturday, January 3, 2015

Count down begins, second thoughts and emerging focus

Saturday January 3, 2015
Canby

Six months, two weeks and one day from starting the voyage.
Well at least the start of the physical voyage of getting on a plane.
The way in is the way out -- and I've been going in.

This week the new rankings for best retirement places came out,
Again, Ecuador was #1.
http://internationalliving.com/2015/01/the-best-places-to-retire-2015/

But I thought I would look at number two - Panama.
Slightly higher cost-of-living, but also uses the US dollar. Perhaps more centrally located.
So I pulled up some videos.
And I realized something more clearly with the comparison of Panama to Ecuador (especially Cuenca).
Panama doesn't have the historic vibe and culture that I am looking for.

http://youtu.be/3x1Ttm7UnjQ

Cuenca was founded in the 1500's by Spanards who knew something about urban planning and laying out a city. There are a dozen or more churches in El Centro that are 400 years old. There are dozens of native cultures -- some with roots in the Aztec pre-history. And Ecuador is the most bio-diverse country on earth.

Oh and Panama is humid all year round -- including the rainy season.
Ecuador is not.

So it turns out that having a doubt reenforced my initial decision.

I've been spending time every day working on my Spanish. There is a long way to go before I have any chance of fluency -- but work and time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment