Monday, January 26, 2015

Meet Barbara  -- maybe my next landlady


Barbara and her husband used to live about 90 miles from Canby -- up in Washington State. Now they live in Cuenca. In addition to their home there, they also rent out a separate apartment -- which might be my home for however long this summer I decided to stay in Ecuador.


It's in a great location along one of the four rivers in Cuenca and within walking distance of El Centro -- the historic downtown.

Looks comfy.

I've been prowling the discussion forums on Ecuadorian topics and the topic of crime has popped up a lot. No major crimes -- murder rate is dropping and of course lower than many US cities. But petty crimes seem to be a point of discussion. So I asked Barbara and here is what she had to say:

I've read a lot of the blogs but I can only give you my experiences. We live in a very safe area, the house has a security fence as do most of the houses in Cuenca. I have lived here over two years now and I have never been the victim of any kind of crime. I am on my own most of the time and am always downtown by myself. I shop at the mercados. I either walk or take the bus. I have never felt afraid or uncomfortable in any way. I have one friend who had her earrings stolen and another who had her cell phone taken from her open backpack and that's it. My Spanish teacher has pointed out two areas that she considers dangerous, but I have visited those mercados many times without any problems. Again, these are my experiences, but I think you'll feel quite safe in Cuenca. 
Have a great day! 
Barb
-----

So I will find out for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Whoo hoo suena como una aventura de la vida de la diversión! Claro que espero que el calor del Ecuador se extiende a lo más profundo de su corazón y el alma ! Esperamos con interés las historias como usted descubrir lo que la vida tiene para ti.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete