Wednesday, January 14, 2015

From imagination to practicality

Among the push-pulls of this venture is moving from creativity to the practical elements of this trip. I think the lesson is that the practical elements are part of the journey and not just lint to be dusted off the suit.

That is, the journey is as much about the journey as the journey itself.

So some of the elements are falling into place. Learning new things is such a funny thing. I start out thinking there is so much to learn. As I learn more, I realize how much more there is to learn. And the hardest part is recognizing that I really have learned some things already.

For example, many advise to use a non-American airline as soon as you can. The buzz seems to be that a foreign airline -- any foreign airline -- is better run and more customer friendly that American-owned companies.

I am looking at LAN airlines. It is a South-American based airline with an awesome reputation. They have one of the few direct flights from US to Ecuador -- and one of the shortest, just over six hours.

The flight begins in New York at JFK. 

I have Alaska miles to get me to New York but...Alaska flies into Newark. So again this gives me another great opportunity to learn and problem-solve. For a quarter century, this was something my adorable (ex) mother-in-law would subdue with wit and wisdom. Now it's my turn.

So, I will fly into Newark the day before the flight. And then use Airbnb to stay in Newark near the airport

So for $45, I will have my own room for the night, get up the next day and head into NYC and go to JFK.

Actually, I will have all day to hang in New York -- since my flight leaves at 10 pm. I then arrive the next morning in Ecuador. Again, I will spend the night near the airport at Guayaquil. 
Here the rates are slightly better than the US -- $25 a night ( again, Ecuador uses US $ so all rates are US currency)

From Guayaquil, it is less than a three hour drive (on great roads thanks to the new president who has been pouring money into infrastructure) to Cuenca.

So -- for now, there it is. I can get there. Once there, I will start Spanish lessons with at a home with an American expat and begin exploring the city -- oh, and myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment