Saturday, January 17, 2015

Stuff:





One of the mental exercises that this adventure has produced is a reflection on stuff.

There are people I know who reach this point through a more spiritual or humanist path.  Some want to walk more gently on the earth. They speak of appreciating what they have rather than wanting to accumulate more. I appreciate that sentiment. I can get there. I am there, but in truth my thoughts are driven by practicality.

Now, I don't know if I am really going to move permanently to Ecuador, but let's say it is a 50-50 possibility.

So if I move, what do I do with my stuff? I guess I can give or sell stuff I don't really want or need and pay for a storage unit for things I want to keep.

But it seems the next logical question is -- why should I get more stuff if it will only go in storage.

It's changed how I look at the weekly Fred Meyer newspaper ads. I enjoyed looking at the new and shiny household stuff. Crock pot, coffee makers, blenders. So colorful and tempting. But now I look at them and think, what would I do with that if I move?

I find it a worthwhile exercise. How much stuff do I really need to be --- aha, that is another question -- to be what? Happy? Not inconvenienced?

This also is part of the lesson. I will travel for at least a month with only a backpack and a carry-on. That will be a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment