Saturday, January 17, 2015

Zen and the art of learning a second language


So I took Spanish in high school and ever since then have .....well, I guess the term is dabbled in it. Over the last 25 years, I've been to Mexico about ten times. I've continued to study -- haphazardly, the language.

When my niece was in fourth grade, I volunteered to be a classroom assistant. It was a Spanish immersion class. The students were to speak Spanish all the time -- but they were given a break when talking with Muestro Parker. 

During the year, my Spanish improved. I never felt I was particularly good -- especially when I would vacation in Mexico.

Not once, but twice, I had restaurant servers interrupt me when I was trying to order in Spanish. I remember one specifically. He said, "I am sorry sir but I am very busy. Could you please order in English?"

So here I am -- six months away from flying to Ecuador. Granted, Cuenca may be the city in Ecuador where English is used most -- but still the blogs all say, the best experience comes from using your Spanish every day.

So I am taking that approach.  Many times I am thinking about something and then try and say it in Spanish. 

I am going to my kitchen. "Voy a mi cocina."

I set aside some of every day to work on my Spanish.

I was thinking today about it. My life, my careers have been focused on communication. Even this blog is an exercise in putting words together.

As with anyone, my insecurities swirl about me -- but my words, yes my words. That is something I know I can stir into a soufflé just as masterfully as Julia Child could whip some eggs.

But now. Give me a new language. Now that is a new challenge.

I will never forget the first time I used my Spanish to actually -- communicate.

It was before kids and we were in Xtapa on the Pacific Coast during the off season. The Weston was wonderful but not full. And the staff was not fully bi-lingual. 

As I an inclined to do, I was wandering about the property. I went to an isolated pool on the resort property. There was a bar and restaurant there. The staff didn't speak English. I wanted a drink and a sandwich. I stopped a server. I asked -- in Spanish -- if I could eat and drink at this place. He said no. I asked if I could drink only. He said yes. I asked if I could eat "there only" -- pointing to the bar. He said yes. So I said, I would have a drink only -- now.

It was amazing. It worked.

So today, I was practicing Spanish nouns. I know about 75% of them. It encouraged me. I know I am miles from being fluent -- but it seems a worthwhile endeavor.

Some folks my age do crossword puzzles to keep their mind sharp. 

My crossword may be -- becoming fluent in Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment