Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Death by volcano


So my friends and family have often joked about my pre-occupation with death. Maybe I just like to talk about it to reduce the discomfort about its inevitability. (no organ music at my funeral, Stairway to Heaven played on the piano).

And here I thought I had pre-conceived of every possible way of walking that stairway.

How naive. 

I overlooked this one.

-----

U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
Security Message for U.S. Citizens
Increased Activity on the Cotopaxi Volcano
The U.S. Mission in Ecuador advises U.S. citizens living or traveling in Ecuador that the Cotopaxi volcano, an active volcano near Quito, has recently experienced a rise unusual activity. According to the Ecuadorian Geophysical Institute, since mid-April 2015, Cotopaxi has experienced an unusually high level of seismic activity, more frequent movement of magma inside the volcano, and an increase in sulfur dioxide emissions, resulting in periodic sulfur smells and visible vapor emissions (fumarole activity). While the Ecuadorian government has not announced any alerts for the Cotopaxi volcano at this time, U.S. citizens are advised to take precautions and monitor the news for updates.

---

I land in Quito in 16 days.
As I say, it's been a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment