Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Wednesday Junio 21
Dia Cinco en la cuidad de Quito

Suitcase arrived yesterday. It was good, a releif and a comfort. But as Bill Kennemer told me about his clients who went through hard times, no one would have changed the events. I now know I can get by for four days with only the contents of my backpack -- and a razor I purchased from la tienda down the street.

The place I am staying is very much in line with the traditional hostel. Most people have shared bunk rooms. I splurged and got a single room for $30/night.

There is a big table in the dining room where people hang out and use the several hostel laptops and share their backgrounds and adventures.

A woman at my table is from Australia. Another is from Germany. Most of the people here are younger by many years from me. It is a joy to share their space and energy. Many have vast travel experience.

Last night a young, fit, fellow invited me to join him on a hike up to a mountain top park. Why the hell not?

It was hard. At 9,000 there is 25% less oxygen. Normally I don't feel it, unless I am on an incline -- as I was for 45 minutes.

Always enjoying the thought of my own mortal limits I thought, wouldn't it be funny if I died here on this strenius climb. As I stood on the top of this mountain I thought, better die here than in a nursing home. It's been a good life and getting better but we all must return to the earth at sometime and I have been blessed in life beyond anything I ever imagined when I was age of the young hostelers I am sharing this experience with.

No comments:

Post a Comment